Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Liturgy Queen?

Why did I call this blog "Confessions of a Liturgy Queen"? I only recently learned of this term, but when I saw it in an article by David Gibson in Politics Daily, I instantly recognized myself. I do not usually like labels of any kind - although we all use them both for ourselves and for others - I have to admit I do love this one. Here is what Gibson says in his article:

Mark Jordan, a scholar of gay religion at Harvard Divinity School and author of several provocative books, such as "The Silence of Sodom: Homosexuality in Modern Catholicism," has argued that this sense of drama in the Mass makes churches a favorite stage for "Liturgy Queens," an epithet that Jordan reclaims as a badge of honor. "The liturgy creates its own divas, on both sides of the communion rail. It is a show that makes for ardent gay fans," he writes. "Liturgy Queens need not be members of the clergy, but they are typically found in the vicinity of the altar – or at least in the choir loft."

So I thought "Confessions of a Liturgy Queen" would be a catchy title for a gay man's blog on Catholicism. Now if I could only figure out how to actually get people to read my blog....

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the definition of a Liturgy Queen. Most appropriate "label". Patience, my "queen", the world will eventually beat a path to your door! This IS only day 2!

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, I just realized I'm a liturgy queen too! Sure, I'm liberal and gay, but I love tradition... hwen it comes to religious ritual. It's ironic- I could agree with Pope Benedict for hours on proper liturgical rubrics, but then awkwardly walk away when the moral theology comes in.

    ReplyDelete